Minutes -‐ MBOTMA Board Meeting –July, 2015 Meeting held 7/7/15 at Byerly’s in Golden Valley
Present: President Peter Albrecht, Vice President Jana Metge, Treasurer Sandi Pidel, Secretary Mary DuShane; Ken Bloch, Sarah Cagley, Gary Germond, Alan Jesperson, Greg Landkamer, Phil Nusbaum, Quillan Roe; Staff: Administrative Assistant Bea Flaming.
Call to order 7:08 by President Peter Albrecht with call for additional agenda items.
Minutes from June meeting. Sandi moves, Ken seconds we approve the minutes as submitted by Jed. Jana abstains, as she was not present at the meeting. Minutes approved.
Community Concerts Results Report. Net loss for program this year $1,132. Discussion: Should we cancel the program? It is losing money, but it does represent outreach to outstate MN, part of our mission. Discussion tabled till next meeting, as Jed is not present tonight, to ask Jed whether our State Arts Board grant will be affected if we cancel the program. Sandi moves, Jana seconds, all approve acceptance of the report.
Kickoff Results Report. Solid performance for this festival. Ken points out one typo: total attendance should read 984, a 16% increase. Mary moves, Quillan seconds, all approve we accept the report as amended.
Executive Director’s Financial Report. Sandi, as Treasurer, says our financial status looks good at 9 months into our fiscal year. Discussion. Jana moves, Sandi seconds, all approve we accept this report.
By-‐Laws Change. As a month has passed since the proposed change was formally introduced, we can now strike the phrase “Treasurer shall chair the Finance Committee” from the by‐laws. Gary moves, Sandi seconds. Discussion. All approve this change.
Youth Representative Board Position. Should this position be mandated to the board or be a voluntary position? By-‐laws currently include 2 youth rep positions (appointed by President and approved by board) as members of the board. Discussion tabled until Marilyn is back from leave to discuss (1) whether to continue the program; (2) whether to have 1 or 2 youth reps; (3) whether their terms should be 1 or 2 years.
July Bd Mtg Minutes – Page 2
October Workshop. Marilyn’s idea: to get the board together with committee chairs. Tabled until September meeting when Marilyn is back.
Finance Committee. Sarah has met with Barry Rogers’ firm and has an initial quote for what they would charge us to prepare our transition to online Quick Books, establish and format clearer charts of accounts with internal controls and train our personnel, which we would like to start September 1, so as to be ready to transition October 1, the start of our fiscal year. Sarah proposes the Finance Committee meet, including Jed, to examine the proposal in detail.
Taxes. We have the revised 990 form and annual AG report, both checked by Barry’s firm. Jana moves, Alan seconds, that we authorize Peter and Sandi as signers for the AG report once the board has seen it. Peter will ask Jed to put the last few changes in and send it around to the board.
Comp festival tickets. Free tickets have historically been given to festival staff + their families. Bea is concerned that some people have asked for extra tickets to the August festival and it’s costing us a lot. Should the board make a policy of a maximum of 2 free tickets per household? Let’s bring up the question of an equitable limitation on free tickets when we meet with committee chairs at the proposed October workshop.
Laughing Waters advertising. Ken moves, Gary seconds that we recommend to Jed that MBOTMA buy an ad in the LaughiAng Waters Bluegrass Festival program as in the past, funded from our advertising/marketing budget. Alan abstains. Motion approved.
Lawsuit regarding “Homegrown” name. There is a festival in Duluth that has now copyrighted the “Homegrown” name for their festival and want us to quit using the word “Homegrown” in connection with our Kickoff festival, even though we have been using the name longer. Peter volunteers to meet with their lawyers in Duluth.
Adjourn. Gary moves, Greg seconds that we adjourn the meeting. Adjourned at 9:05. Next meeting September.
Submitted by Mary DuShane, Board Secretary