Minutes - MBOTMA Board Meeting – May, 2015
Meeting held 5/5/15 at Davanni’s in Golden Valley
Present: President Peter Albrecht, Vice President Jana Metge, Treasurer Sandi Pidel, Secretary Mary DuShane; Marilyn Bergum, Gary Germond, Alan Jesperson, Greg Landkamer, Phil Nusbaum, Quillan Roe; Staff: Executive Director Jed Malischke, Assistant Bea Flaming.
Call to order 7:00 by President Peter Albrecht.
Call for additional agenda items:1) Revised 990 form and AG report: Due May 15; Jana moves, Quillan seconds, all approve we ask Jed to request an extension of time to file. 2) Marilyn: The self-mailing membership display cards being produced to display at music stores should be available/handed out at the Kickoff. For our June agenda: Marilyn’s ideas for membership committee, volunteer development, and youth development. 3) Sarah’s proposal for a 1st timer discount: Sandi moves, Jana seconds we activate this program for festivals this year, with Underground administering and keeping records. Discussion: Bea says this will not involve burdensome administrative details on her part. All approve.
Minutes from April meeting. Marilyn moves, Quillan seconds. Discussion: need to add the names of Finance Committee volunteers. All approve to accept minutes as amended.
Annual Meeting. Marilyn moves, Quillan seconds that we move the annual meeting to coincide with the Harvest Jam instead of WBW. Discussion. Motion fails to pass. We thank Martha Galep, committee chair for Harvest Jam, for offering to host the annual meeting.
Underwriting fund request from St Peter Arts Center. We’ve all agreed, as reflected in the budget these last two years, not to underwrite events although we’d like to, because funds are tight. Gary moves, Greg seconds, all approve that we deny this request. We can offer to help promote their concert series via our mailing list and magazine.
Election Committee. Jana moves, Mary seconds, all approve that we ask Martha Galep to chair the nominating committee again this year for our fall board elections. Peter volunteers to be election judge.
Finance Committee Report. Peter reports that the committee met and has asked Jed to explain some details in the revisions of our 990 tax report and AG report, as board members want to better understand these documents. Next, the committee has decided to go forward with exploring/hiring a bookkeeper/accountant to assist with our organizational finances and clear up some of Jed’s time. Sarah will meet with consultant Barry Rogers and get info on what we need to do to cover our initial objectives and what the costs might be. Also, should the Finance Committee be comprised of board members only? We will put this question on the agenda for our June board meeting.
Bylaws Amendment. There is a small conflict in the bylaws as currently written as to whether the organization’s Treasurer needs to be a member of the Finance Committee and/or needs to be its chair. Mary moves, Jana seconds, all approve that we strike one sentence from Article IV of the Bylaws stating “The Treasurer shall chair the finance committee.”
Resignation of David Smith from the Board. We accepted David’s resignation. Discussion. Sandi nominates Ken Bloch to fill the open board slot. Gary nominates Sarah Cagley. Sarah will be aging out of the Youth Representative slot, and we all want her to continue on the board. Ideas for new youth reps: possibly Dale Gruber Jr., and/or Sarah Birkeland from Duluth, who has expressed interest. Alan suggests she could possibly attend some meetings via Skype.
Board Membership. Gary suggests we add more board members, perhaps reserve some seats for out-state reps, and encourage more participation from our committee chairs. Quillan moves, Marilyn seconds that we increase our board size to 13 plus 2 youth reps. Discussion: We will put this on the June agenda. Final vote deferred.
Cutting expenses to balance budget. Peter suggests we give event committees an expense account no greater than their revenues for the previous year. Alan moves, Greg seconds, all approve, with the caveat that we have to take this idea to the committees, give them time to implement, and urge them to come to the June board meeting.
Adjourn. Gary moves, Jana seconds, all approve that we adjourn the meeting. Adjourned at 9:56 by President Albrecht.